Twenty-four Years of Online Excellence!
Updated course information, for both our SUMMER online classes and our school-year AP and Honors online classes, has now been updated! Online tuition payments can begin for full-year classes on March 1, 2021. Students can begin applying to classes, choosing which courses will be their top choices.
New: You can now get a 1% discount if you pay tuition by check. More info about this option can be found by clicking on Payment Options or Store.
Here at PA Homeschoolers AP Online we have 24 years of experience teaching classes online. Our classes feature lots of interaction between teachers and students as well as lots of interaction between students. We develop a community of scholars! Our class are for *high school age* students (with an occasional gifted middle schooler)-- adults cannot take part in our classes.
SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING MAY 2021 AP EXAMS-- there is now detailed information available about the scheduling of DIGITAL AT-HOME exams for most AP Subjects. Check this link directly to the College Board website for the 'newest news'. All AP teachers will be sharing the *specifics* about the digital changes for their course exam, so that students will know exactly what to expect if they need to take the at-home exam. We are VERY pleased that almost *all* of our students were able to make arrangements through a school AP Coordinator to get an EXAM-ONLY JOIN CODE-- and students have now begun learning how to download the digital exam *practice app* and what procedures will be needed to take the exam at home. Probably at least 1/3 of our students are able to take the regular 'on paper' exam at a local school. THANKS for staying on top of all these changes-- and we will all students the very best in these next weeks of preparing!
At Pennsylvania Homeschoolers we have three kinds of courses:
1. Summer Courses. This summer of 2021 we are again offering a large number of Summer Enrichment Online classes. Just use the pull-down menu labeled CHOOSE A SUMMER CLASS above to explore each of the class descriptions. Most of these classes do NOT require an application-- to register, you simply pay tuition online in our store or mail in a check (no 'payment plan' options for summer classes). Tuition payment for all summer classes is now available in our ONLINE STORE. Unlike our AP Classes which take place during the school year when schools are in session, these summer classes are also open to students who normally attend 'brick-and-mortar' schools, as well as our main audience of homeschooling families. We realize that once again many students may find that the special summer programs or internships or classes they had hoped to attend this coming summer, have been cancelled due to lingering COVID-19 concerns-- OR students may simply decide that they want to keep up with online learning over the summer for some great enrichment learning with friends from all over the country. Some of our Summer Enrichment Online classes will be as short as 3-weeks, some as long as 6-weeks. All are fully online. There is a choice here to fit all interests and all time-frames, and all teachers are developing ways for students to interact with one another. You won’t feel like you are just ‘learning by yourself’-- you’ll have a special summer community! Read more here...
2. AP Courses. The 2021-2022 school year will be our 25th year of offering Advanced Placement (AP) classes online to homeschooled students worldwide. Our classes are not available to public or private brick-and-mortar school students. We do work with some online charter schools that work with homeschooling students (especially in California-- email for further details). Our 2021-2022 school year class descriptions are now fully updated , including our new teachers joining our staff, and teachers are actively taking new applications. Our online store is ready for paying tuition and Summer Class tuition can be paid now-- check our online store, once a student has been accepted into a course-- or families can pay by check or use our payment plan (NOTE: we have *amended* our payment plan program to give further help to families facing a financial downturn due to the COVID-19 shut-downs). To learn more about our classes, please browse our course descriptions and the reviews from past students and their parents. Reviews are linked at the end of each course description. (Obviously, new teachers won't yet have 'class reviews'.)
3. Honors Courses. During the 2021-2022 school year we will again be offering honors classes online to homeschooled students worldwide. These classes prepare students to participate in AP classes in the future. We have some new Honors classes available this coming year-- check the listing!
If you are curious to see what a sampling of a dozen students think about our Pennsylvania Homeschoolers AP Online classes, check this YouTube video from our first ever AP STUDENT PANEL, held at our March 2020 virtual High School at Home Conference. As the theme of the conference was on developing helpful *communities* as we homeschool, we asked the students to specifically share about that aspect of taking part in our courses-- and I think you'll find their thoughts really heart-warming, especially in these weeks where we are all feeling in great *need* of positive communities during this time of continuing 'sheltering in place'. And here is the link to the YouTube video of our 2nd AP STUDENT PANEL at our March 2021 High School at Home Conference (sorry that the video is a bit blurry-- but the sound quality is very good!). Again, you'll gain a sense of the type of student who thrives in our classes, and see what our students have appreciated about our classes. Special THANK YOU to each of these students for being ready to share with all of us!
And here is a link to the Keynote Address given by Pennsylvania Homeschoolers AP Online program director Susan Richman at this same 2021 High School at Home Conference, speaking on the topic of Finding Resilience in Our New Normal .
Parents may want to check out the NEW College Board PARENT section of their website, especially their *Parent Webinar* series. You'll see that there are several directly related to the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) program, giving you further background on the goals of AP overall. Plus you'll find great ideas on navigating the whole college admissions process also. Well worth a look! ALSO-- check out this excellent new College Board AP page especially for *homeschool students*! This includes everything you need to know in a nice 2-page PDF you can print out or use online!
We're pleased to be welcoming back almost all of our wonderful AP Teachers-- and we are now very happy to announce several new teachers joining us for this coming school year:
- Honors English Language Arts. Our wonderful original developer of this course, Jody Best, is needing to take a sabbatical year in 2021-2022. We will continue her legacy through our current section led by our AP English Language teacher Melissa Dean. And we are very pleased to announce a second section of this course will be led by Ty Stewart, who has been a co-teacher for Maya Inspektor's very popular AP English classes for a number of years. Our Honors English Language Arts classes will help prepare students to be ready for the rigors of AP-level coursework in a full range of disciplines. This class is just the right "starting place" for many students.
- Longterm AP Statistics teacher Carole Matheny will be enjoying a much-deserved active retirement at the close of this current school year. We are very grateful to announce that Jennette Driscoll, who has been co-teaching AP Environmental Science this year, will be taking over leading this course. Jen Driscoll is now working very closely with Carole Matheny to ensure a smooth transition.
- We are offering an additional TWO new sections of AP Calculus this year! We welcome Amelia Chan, who will continue to lead her very successful Honors Pre-Calculus class, to now add on AP Calculus AB. I know she is going to bring both expertise, strong organizational ability, and a real heart for teaching her students. In addition, Linda Henderson, a very experienced long-term math educator, will be leading a 2nd section of AP Calculus BC this year-- Linda is especially known for her very clear and helpful teaching videos for every topic in the course, and her strong organizational abilities in online teaching and her true love for the subject. AND she's been an AP exam reader for AP Calculus exams since 2013-- so really understands what this exam is all about!
- AP English Literature teacher Kay Ben-Avraham is needing to take a sabbatical year coming up-- we thank her for her very enthusiastic teaching for three years with our program! We are very pleased to welcome new teacher Shannon Deegan, a very experienced AP English Literature teacher-- she will also be helping with our very popular series of Summer Application Essay Workshops, working with Maya Inspektor.
- Honors Biology is a new class being offered this coming fall, led by our experienced AP Biology teacher, Dr. Terri Kanner. This could be a terrific 'stand alone' course, or a lead-up to AP Biology class.
NCAA--YES! Several years ago, our program completed the process to have our AP courses approved as *core courses* for the NCAA eligibility requirements for student-athletes seeking to play Division I and II sports in college. (The only AP courses we offer not considered as 'core courses' are AP Art History, AP Studio Art, and AP Music Theory-- these don't count as 'core courses' for public schools, either...) We now regularly submit our Pennsylvania Homeschoolers AP Online transcripts for our student-athletes who are registered with the NCAA. Hooray!!!
During the 2020-2021 school year we have had well over 1000 students involved in our classes, and many of these students were taking two, three, and even four classes through our program (especially once they are experienced in AP level coursework). We hope that your students will be able to join us next school year! We are proud of the academic community that has developed as homeschooled high school students connect with their bright, motivated classmates from all across our nation and even around the world.
- how we became one of the first online AP course providers in existence,
- why our full-year AP courses each have a unique format and feel,
- and how homeschooled students from anywhere in the world can apply to our classes.
Our classes develop a community of scholars who interact through class postings, course-related projects and games, responding to one another's work, discussions, and much more. Check out our new Class Showcase postings by teachers to get a feel for their classes in action.
See statistics from the College Board showing that more than three quarters of our students earn top grades of 4 or 5 on the AP exams, and learn how word of mouth has helped our courses grow without a marketing campaign or corporate backing.
In short, find out what makes hundreds of homeschooled students return to our courses year after year. We hope you join our class community! Learn more...
Updates on both our SUMMER ENRICHMENT ONLINE classes and our 2021-2022 AP and Honors classes are now posted! Tuition payments can be made for SUMMER and for 2021-2022 classes!