Twenty-three Years of Online Excellence!
Here at PA Homeschoolers AP Online we have 23 years of experience teaching classes online. Our classes feature lots of interaction between teachers and students as well as lots of interaction between students. We develop a community of scholars! Our class are for *high school age* students (with an occasional gifted middle schooler)-- adults cannot take part in our classes.
SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING MAY 2021 AP EXAMS:
- The College Board is *fully* committed to making sure all homeschooling students are able to take AP exams this spring, and they realize this is being made very challenging in some locations because of policy restrictions at schools because of on-going concerns about COVID-19.
- Homeschooling families will NOT at all need to pay the 'late fee penalty' (normally $40) for NOT finding a test location by the mid-November early-ordering deadline.
- Basically, the advice to homeschooling families is NOT to continue trying to locate a cooperative school right now, as a NEW POLICY will be formally unrolled in *early January 2021* that will fully explain to schools the new CONTINGENCY EXAM option.
- This CONTINGENCY EXAM will both be an option for school students who will still be doing coursework virtually right through the end of the school year, AND for homeschooling students who would not otherwise be allowed to take an exam at a local school (even if that school would be AP testing of their own students on location in the school building).
- The *procedures* on how homeschool students can be formally registered for this CONTINGENCY EXAM will be explained fully in this early January policy announcement.
- This CONTINGENCY EXAM will cover *full* course content, unlike last year's shortened at-home online exam. Again, in early January we will receive full information on any format changes that may have needed to be made.
- Pennsylvania Homeschoolers AP Online will fully communicate in early January about these changes, so that all students and parents know what to expect.
We have three kinds of courses:
1. Summer Courses. New for Summer of 2020 we are offering a large number of Summer Enrichment Online classes. Just use the pull-down menu labeled CHOOSE A SUMMER CLASS above to explore each of the class descriptions. Most of these classes do NOT require an application-- to register, you simply pay tuition online in our store or mail in a check (no 'payment plan' options for summer classes). Unlike our AP Classes which take place during the school year when schools are in session, these summer classes are also open to students who normally attend school, as well as to our main audience of homeschooling families. We realized that many students have been dismayed to find that the special summer programs or internships or classes they had hoped to attend this coming summer, have all been cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. Some of our Summer Enrichment Online classes will be as short as 3-weeks, some as long as 6-weeks. All are fully online. There is a choice here to fit all interests and all time-frames, and all teachers are developing ways for students to interact with one another. You won’t feel like you are just ‘learning by yourself’-- you’ll have a special summer community! Read more here...
2. AP Courses. The 2020-2021 school year will be our 24th year of offering Advanced Placement (AP) classes online to homeschooled students worldwide. Our classes are not available to public or private brick-and-mortar school students. We do work with some online charter schools that work with homeschooling students (especially in California-- email for further details). Our 2020-2021 school year class descriptions are now fully updated, including our new teachers joining our staff, and teachers are actively taking new applications. Our online store is ready for paying tuition, once a student has been accepted into a course-- or families can pay by check or use our payment plan (NOTE: we have *amended* our payment plan program to give further help to families facing a financial downturn due to the COVID-19 shut-downs). To learn more about our classes, please browse our course descriptions and the reviews from past students and their parents. Reviews are linked at the end of each course description. (Obviously, new teachers won't yet have 'class reviews'.)
3. Honors Courses. During the 2020-2021 school year we will also be offering pre-AP honors classes online to homeschooled students worldwide. These classes prepare students to participate in AP classes in the future. NEW this year: HONORS PRE-CALCULUS, led by very experienced teacher and homeschool parent Amelia Chan... this course is a brand-new offering, just finalized in mid-July 2020.
If you are curious to see what a sampling of a dozen students think about our Pennsylvania Homeschoolers AP Online classes, check this YouTube video from our first ever AP STUDENT PANEL, held at our recent virtual High School at Home Conference. As the theme of the conference was on developing helpful *communities* as we homeschool, we asked the students to specifically share about that aspect of taking part in our courses-- and I think you'll find their thoughts really heart-warming, especially in these weeks where we are all feeling in great *need* of positive communities during this time of 'sheltering in place'. Special THANK YOU to each of these students for being ready to share with all of us!
Parents may want to check out the NEW College Board PARENT section of their website, especially their *Parent Webinar* series. You'll see that there are several directly related to the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) program, giving you further background on the goals of AP overall. Plus you'll find great ideas on navigating the whole college admissions process also. Well worth a look! ALSO-- check out this excellent new College Board AP page especially for *homeschool students*! This includes everything you need to know in a nice 2-page PDF you can print out or use online!
We're pleased to be welcoming back almost all of our wonderful AP Teachers-- and we are now very happy to announce several new teachers joining us for this coming school year:
- AP Latin. Sherri Maden will be leading AP Latin this year with us! Sherri is a very experienced Latin teacher, and has been teaching small-group Latin classes with homeschoolers in the Charlotte, North Carolina area for many years. She comes highly recommended by some of our top AP students who've taken her local classes. I know you will find 'Magistra Madden's' enthusiasm for Latin to be a true inspiration!
- Honors English Language Arts. We are also very pleased to offer a second section of our very popular 'lead-up to AP' class in Honors English Language Arts, led by Jody Best -- this second section will be led by our AP English Language teacher Melissa Dean. This class, which has had a very successful first year in 2018-2019, is organized to follow the key guidelines of the College Board new Pre-AP courses, and will help prepare students to be ready for the rigors of AP-level coursework in a full range of disciplines. This class is just the right "starting place" for many students.
- AP World History and AP European History. We are also adding in additional sections for both AP World History and for AP European History with very experienced long-term teachers -- we look forward to having Benjamin Osborne and Michael Munson as part of our staff now! These courses are both very popular, and we're so pleased to be able now to involve all students eager to join in the learning. Both Benjamin Osborne and Michael Munson have been AP exam graders, and bring a wealth of experience and expertise to their courses.
- AP Environmental Science. We also welcome a new AP Environmental Science teacher -- Dr. Terrianne Lavin. She brings a wealth of expertise to the course, both as a college professor in this field and as an experienced homeschooling parent who's led small group homeschool science classes for many years.
- AP Spanish. We also have a new AP Spanish Language instructor joining us -- Erin Weber, who now lives in Mexico, and has had experience teaching Spanish at Cedarville College and more. Erin has also been an AP Spanish Language exam reader for 10 years. NOTE: Our previous AP Spanish teacher Ray Levin is still offering his extensive online high school level Spanish courses through his own private site. We wish him the best as he continues to work to prepare many students with in-depth opportunities for learning the language!
NCAA--YES! Several years ago, our program completed the process to have our AP courses approved as *core courses* for the NCAA eligibility requirements for student-athletes seeking to play Division I and II sports in college. (The only AP courses we offer not considered as 'core courses' are AP Art History, AP Studio Art, and AP Music Theory-- these don't count as 'core courses' for public schools, either...) We now regularly submit our Pennsylvania Homeschoolers AP Online transcripts for our student-athletes who are registered with the NCAA. Hooray!!!
During the 2019-2020 school year we have had approximately 870 students involved in our classes, and many of these students were taking two, three, and even four classes through our program (especially once they are experienced in AP level coursework). We hope that your students will be able to join us next school year! We are proud of the academic community that has developed as homeschooled high school students connect with their bright, motivated classmates from all across our nation and even around the world.
- how we became one of the first online AP course providers in existence,
- why our full-year AP courses each have a unique format and feel,
- and how homeschooled students from anywhere in the world can apply to our classes.
Our classes develop a community of scholars who interact through class postings, course-related projects and games, responding to one another's work, discussions, and much more. Check out our new Class Showcase postings by teachers to get a feel for their classes in action.
See statistics from the College Board showing that more than three quarters of our students earn top grades of 4 or 5 on the AP exams, and learn how word of mouth has helped our courses grow without a marketing campaign or corporate backing.
In short, find out what makes hundreds of homeschooled students return to our courses year after year. We hope you join our class community! Learn more...
Regular Tuition fees are now in effect-- and many classes still have plenty of openings!